Understanding trauma to benefit coaching clients.
UPDATE: Our next Masterclass date will be announced shortly – to express an interest in attending, click here.
As practitioners who work with coaches, as supervisors and teachers, we are aware that many coaches are anxious about the concept of trauma, which is often the result of lack of understanding of what trauma is. This is made more challenging as the word, trauma, is used in many different ways. In this masterclass we clarify the terminology and provide a simple, accessible, model for understanding the complexity of trauma.
We also know that coaches are concerned that working with trauma will take them into therapy territory for which they are not prepared and do not wish to enter. In this Masterclass we show how coaches are already meeting the symptoms of trauma in their practice, these do not only arise in therapy, and are more common that many realise. We provide practical exercises and guidance for how to respond within a coaching frame and how not to cross the boundary into therapy, unless you are an integrative practitioner and trained to work therapeutically.
We see an awareness of trauma and what it means for coaching to be an essential part of all coaches’ CPD.
As a result of the Coaching to Change Lives Masterclass you will:
- Have a clear definition of the term trauma and what that means in practice
- Have an introduction to the theory of psyche-trauma developed by Professor Franz Ruppert and be more aware of healthy, survival and trauma selves and parts as they present in coaching
- Be able to apply practical guidance into your coaching work for where the survival self is prominent to support the client’s move towards healing
- Understand the importance of recognising your own internal trauma dynamics and how to respond within the coaching
- Be clear about the boundaries of coaching in working with trauma
- Feel confident in hearing distressing information shared by the client
- Have an enhanced awareness of the importance of the autobiography and linking the ‘there and then’ with the ‘here and now’
- Have an awareness of what trauma healing involves.
You will find this workshop of benefit if you:
- Have experienced working with clients where change appears to be blocked, or is draining or feels hopeless, or where you feel responsible, challenged, frustrated, or that you are ‘the wrong coach’ for this client.
- Recognise that you feel anxiety thinking about trauma and coaching, or have had clients who you recognise carry internal distress, and want to get more information to enhance your coaching
- Are interested in trauma and finding out more about it.
- Want to enhance your coaching practice and take it to another level.
“I wish I’d attended a class like this years ago. It freed me to give meaningful consideration to hitherto taboo elements of a client’s story. We’ve all developed as coaches knowing that we must rigidly observe therapeutic boundaries and therefore be largely future focused; all fine and dandy but sometimes not enough to shine a light into complex corners. This thought provoking day opened up new avenues of enquiry, constantly reminding us that we are not diagnosticians yet at the same time recognising that there are things in the ‘there and then’ which play their part in whatever is going on in the ‘here and now’.”
Venue: near The Angel tube station, Islington, London
Materials: the Masterclass is supported by a comprehensive pack of information including further reading recommendations.
CPD hours: 6 hours, and certificates of attendance are available.
Cost: £295.00 (plus VAT)
Date: Thursday January 30th 2020, 10 am – 5 pm